Aaron Sanchez's Mexican Brownies
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, plus more for greasing
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup good-quality unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground Mexican cinnamon (canela)
- 1/4 teaspoon pequin chili powder or cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with parchment paper, leaving an overhang on two sides. Press the paper into the corners of the pan and lightly grease the paper with butter.
Melt the 2 sticks of butter in a nonstick saucepan over medium-low heat; do not boil. Remove from the heat and let cool slightly. Add the sugar, eggs and vanilla to the saucepan and stir with a wooden spoon until combined.
Add the cocoa, flour, cinnamon, chili powder, salt and baking powder and mix until smooth. Spread the batter in the prepared pan and bake until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out fudgy, 20 to 25 minutes. Cool in the pan on a rack, then use the parchment paper to lift out the brownies before slicing.
Photograph by Kate Sears
Thank you! your flag was submitted.