- 1/2 pound dried garbanzos (chickpeas)
- 1 1/2 cups panela (cane sugar) or piloncillo
- 1 (4-inch) stick canela (cinnamon)
- 1 cup roughly chopped pineapple
- Serving suggestions: a topping for rice pudding, ice cream, or cake
Soak the garbanzo beans in 2 quarts of water for 12 hours, then drain.
Add 2 quarts fresh water to the pot with the garbanzos. Bring to a boil and boil for 30 minutes.
To another pot, add 2 quarts of water. Add the panela, canela, and pineapple, bring to a boil, and cook for 1 hour, stirring constantly.
Drain the beans when tender, and set aside to cool. When cool, remove each individual skin from each bean, this process can be time consuming.