- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup 1/2-inch diced tomatoes
- 1 pound Prince Edward Island mussels, cleaned, de-bearded
- 1/2 cup Silver tequila
- 2 cups fish or shellfish stock
- 1 chipotle pepper from a can of chipotle in adobo, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
Serving suggestions: toasted bread and lime wedges
In a large, hot, saute pan, add 1 tablespoon of oil and heat until it smokes, add the sliced garlic shaking the pan quickly so as not to burn the garlic, cook for approximately 30 seconds. Add the onions and tomatoes and cook for 3 minutes.
Add the mussels tossing them in the pan to coat. Remove the pan from the heat and add the tequila and stock. Return the pan to the heat, cover the pan and cook for 5 minutes or until the mussels start to open. Add the chipotle and the cilantro and cook for 3 minutes. Discard any mussels that did not open. Taste and add salt and pepper, to taste.
Serve with toasted bread and lime wedges.