- 2 teaspoons coconut rum, such as Malibu, optional
- 1/4 cup spiced rum (around 80 proof)
- Vanilla or coconut ice cream
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- Kosher salt
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 cloves
- 1 green cardamom pod, crushed
- 2 large firm bananas (slightly unripe is best), peeled, sliced in half lengthwise and then again across the middle
- 2 tablespoons toasted coconut flakes, for sprinkling, optional
- Coarse sea salt, for sprinkling
First, be safe: tie your hair back, roll up long sleeves, keep a large lid handy and a fire extinguisher handy too, if you have one.
Pour the coconut rum, if using, and the spiced rum into separate bowls. Never pour alcohol into the hot pan straight from the bottle or the whole thing could go up in flames. Be prepared!
Have four bowls of ice cream ready to go.
When the sauce starts to foam, pull the pan off the heat and sprinkle in the coconut rum. Return the pan to the heat and cook for 30 seconds.
Once again pull the pan off the heat and pour the spiced rum into the pan. Using a long gas lighter, light the contents of the pan away from the heat; it should immediately light up. Return the pan to the heat, reduce the heat to a simmer and cook until the flames go out.
Place two pieces of banana in each bowl of ice cream and divide the sauce among the bowls. Sprinkle with the coconut flakes and a little sea salt over the top and serve!