- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 handful shredded carrots, optional
- 1 large onion, diced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked Spanish paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 large tomato, diced
- One 12-ounce package hot dogs, sliced about 1/16-inch thick, such as Hebrew National
- Handful fresh cilantro leaves, minced
- Pita bread, cut in half and toasted, for serving
Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. When the oil is shimmering, add the ginger, garlic, carrots if using, onions and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook until the onions are softened and slightly brown around the edges, about 5 minutes.
Taste the hot dogs and season accordingly. Remove the skillet from the heat. Stir in the cilantro and transfer the mixture to a serving bowl or serve in the pita bread.