- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons minced peeled ginger
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- Kosher salt
- 1/2 cup tomato puree
- 1 pound pizza dough (or one 10-to-12-inch prepared crust)
- All-purpose flour, for dusting
- Cornmeal, for dusting
- 1 cup shredded cheese blend (mozzarella, provolone, cheddar and/or parmesan)
- 1/2 cup sliced pepperoni
- 1/2 cup chopped pineapple
- 1 fresh red chile pepper, thinly sliced
- Fresh mint and Sriracha (hot Asian chili sauce), for topping
Put a pizza stone or upside-down baking sheet in the oven; preheat to 500 degrees F.
Pulse the garlic, ginger, canola oil and a pinch of salt in a food processor until smooth. Mix 1 teaspoon of the garlic-ginger paste with the tomato puree.
Stretch the pizza dough into a 12-inch round on a floured surface. Put on a cornmeal-dusted pizza peel or upside-down baking sheet; slide onto the hot pizza stone or baking sheet and cook 5 minutes. (If you're using a prepared crust, skip this step.)
Slide the crust back onto the peel. Spread with the tomato puree, then top with the cheese, pepperoni, pineapple and chile pepper.
Return to the oven and bake until the cheese melts, 8 to 10 more minutes. Remove from the oven and let sit 5 minutes, then top with mint and Sriracha.
Photograph by Con Poulos