Moroccan Carrot Salad with Parsley and Roasted Lemon
- 1 large lemon, washed, sliced into thin rounds, and then quartered
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for lemons
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 pinches cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon orange zest, plus 1/4 cup orange juice
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 medium carrots, peeled and grated (about 4 cups)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons toasted pine nuts
Place the lemon pieces in a cold skillet. Add a generous amount of oil to cover the bottom of the pan and heat over low heat until the rinds soften and begin to brown and caramelize, about 20 minutes.
In a large bowl, add the cumin, cinnamon, ginger, cayenne, orange zest, orange juice, salt, and pepper. While whisking, pour 1/4 cup olive oil in a thin stream until the dressing reaches your desired consistency. Add the carrots, parsley, and pine nuts. Remove the caramelized lemon to the bowl using a slotted spoon. Toss and taste for seasoning. Drizzle in some of the lemon infused oil, to taste.
Store in the refrigerator until serving time.
Recipe courtesy Aarti Sequeira
Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse