Red Lentil Soup
- 1 cup red lentils, washed and soaked for 1 hour, drained
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 green serrano chile, split and seeded
- 1 -inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- Kosher salt
- Honey, for drizzling
- Optional garnishes: chopped fresh cilantro, yogurt, lemon or lime wedges
Combine the lentils, garlic, chile, ginger, onions, tomatoes and enough water to cover in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Bring the mixture to a boil, and then lower the heat and simmer until the lentils are tender, 30 to 45 minutes. Whisk the cooked lentils to release some of their starch and break them down further.
Warm the oil in a small saute pan over medium heat. Add the cumin seeds and cook until they are sizzling and spluttering. Stir in the paprika and turmeric. Pour the seasoned oil onto the lentils (be prepared for a big sizzle). Stir to combine; sprinkle with salt and a small drizzle of honey. Ladle into soup bowls and garnish with cilantro, a drizzle of yogurt, lemon or lime wedges.
From Food Network Kitchens; after further testing and to ensure the best results this recipe has been altered from what was in the actual episode.
Recipe courtesy of Aarti Sequeira