Roasted Eggplant Salad (Baingan Bharta)
- 2 large eggplants
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil, plus more for eggplant
- 1 medium white onion, finely diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small serrano pepper, seeded (if you wish less heat) and minced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves and soft stems, minced, plus more picked leaves for garnish
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin, plus more for sprinkling
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups Greek yogurt, beaten until smooth
Preheat the oven to 500 degrees F.
Line a baking sheet with foil. Make 3 slashes in each eggplant, from top to tail, equally distanced around the eggplant. Rub the eggplants with a little peanut oil. Sit them on the baking sheet and roast until soft all the way to the center and the skin is brown, about 45 minutes, rotating the pan and flipping the eggplants halfway through. Remove from the oven and cool.
Once cool, skin the eggplant. Chop the flesh until it's relatively smooth but not mushy.
In a large skillet, warm the peanut oil over medium-high heat. Once the oil is shimmering, add the onion and saute until it turns golden brown. Add the eggplant flesh, garlic, chile and cilantro leaves. Cook 2 minutes. Add a splash of water if it begins to stick.
Add the turmeric, cumin, and 2 teaspoons of salt. Stir and cook another 5 minutes.
More Recipes and Ideas:
Eggplant Salad: Shlada De-al Bedenjan, Grilled Eggplant and Manchego Cheese Salad with Fresh Basil and Balsamic-Black Pepper Glaze, Eggplant Salad, Carrot Salad Recipes, Salmon Salad Recipes, Broccoli Salad Recipes, Couscous Salad Recipes, Lobster Salad Recipes, Potato Salad Recipes