Sweet Potato Fries
- Kosher salt
- 3/4 teaspoon store-bought or homemade garam masala, recipe follows
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled, and cut into 1/2-inch slices, then again into 1/2-inch sticks
- Olive oil
- Aarti's Hot (not heavy!) Homemade Garam Masala:
- 3 large cinnamon sticks (if you have the kind you get at Indian stores, it's about 3 tablespoons of cinnamon bark bits)
- 3 tablespoons whole cloves
- 1/4 cup green cardamom pods, shelled, husks discarded (about 2 tablespoons of seeds)
- 4 large black cardamom pods, shelled, husks discarded (about 1 tablespoon of seeds), optional
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
In a small bowl, toss together 1 rounded teaspoon of salt, garam masala, cumin and some freshly ground black pepper to taste.
Add the sweet potatoes to a large bowl, drizzle with enough olive oil to coat, and sprinkle with the spice rub. Toss well to coat evenly.
Pour the sweet potatoes out onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet or a baking rack, making sure all the pieces are evenly spaced. Bake 30 to 35 minutes, flipping halfway through. Remove the potatoes from the baking sheet and serve immediately.Aarti's Hot (not heavy!) Homemade Garam Masala:
Combine the cinnamon sticks, cloves, green cardamom seeds, black cardamom seeds, if using, in a spice grinder or coffee grinder and grind until fine. Store the spice mix in an airtight container away from direct sunlight. Yield: about 1/2 cup.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.