Achiote Marinated Quail
- 3/4 cup or 5.5 ounces achiote paste
- 1 bottle or 8 ounces birch beer or root beer
- 1/4 cup cider or seasoned rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed, toasted and ground
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed, toasted and ground
- 1 tablespoon Mexican oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon smoke oil or liquid smoke
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 8 whole quail, Bobwhite preferred or European style, partially boned
Whisk all marinade ingredients together and marinate quail for at least one hour or up to 12 hours. Grill over hot coals or in grill pan. May be browned and baked in a preheated 350 degree oven for 20 to 30 minutes. Pull thigh away from breast of bird to check doneness?.no red should be visible or pierce breast with fork or toothpick ?.juices should run clear. These are small birds and will dry out if overcooked.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.