Adriatic Grilled Shrimp
- 1 1/2 pounds jumbo shrimp (8 to 10 per pound), shelled and deveined, with tails left intact
- 2 tablespoons salt, plus more to taste
- 4 cups ice water
- 3 to 4 sun-dried tomatoes (not packed in oil), plumped 10 minutes in hot water and drained
- 3 large cloves garlic
- 3 tightly packed tablespoons fresh Italian parsley leaves
- 1/8 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large lemon, cut into 8 wedges
In a bowl, combine the shrimp with the 2 tablespoons salt and the 4 cups ice water. Refrigerate 20 minutes, but no more. Meanwhile mince together the tomatoes, garlic, and parsley. Transfer them to a medium bowl and stir in the hot pepper and 2 tablespoons of the olive oil.
Drain, rinse, and pat the shrimp dry. Toss them with the tomato mixture. Keep cold.
Film a large skillet or griddle with the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil and warm over medium heat. Saute the shrimp, sprinkling with salt and pepper, about 2 to 3 minutes per side, until pink and just firm. Pile all the seasonings over the shrimp after turning them.
Transfer the shrimp onto a serving platter along with the seasonings. Serve hot or warm, with the lemon wedges. Squeeze a little lemon over the shrimp just before eating.
Recipe Courtesy Lynne Rossetto Kasper
Recipe courtesy of Robin Miller