- 1 (1 pound) loaf plain ciabatta or focaccia
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 8 cloves
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 pounds gala, braeburn, or pink lady apples, peeled, cored, and cut into sixths
- Ice cream or whipped cream for serving
Heat oven to 450 degrees F and arrange rack in the middle. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil, place bread on top, and set aside.
Melt butter in a large nonstick frying pan over medium heat. When foaming subsides, remove from heat, add vanilla, salt, and cloves and sprinkle sugar evenly into pan.
Place apples in a single layer and return to stove. Cook over medium heat, turning apples once, until apples are knife tender, about 10 minutes. Arrange apples on bread and pour all but 1/4 cup caramel sauce on top. Bake in oven until caramel sauce bubbles and bread is heated through, about 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from oven, pour remaining caramel on apples and let pizza sit for 5 minutes before cutting. Serve with ice cream or whipped cream.
Recipe courtesy Aida Mollenkamp