- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 6 medium scallions, ends trimmed and thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
- 8 ounces asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces (about 2 cups)
- 6 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 pound loaf ciabatta or French bread, sliced 3/4-inch thick
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Jack cheese (about 4 ounces)
- 1/2 cup pickled jalapenos, rinsed and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves, plus more for garnish
- Sour cream, for garnish
- Avocado, for garnish
Butter 8-by-8-inch baking dish and set aside. Heat butter over medium heat. When it foams, add scallions, and cook until just softened, about 1 minute. Add asparagus and cook until bright green and beginning to soften, about 2 minutes; remove from heat.
Whisk eggs, half-and-half, salt, cumin, and pepper in a large bowl until evenly combined. Arrange half of the bread in bottom of prepared dish. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup of the cheese and half each of jalapenos, cilantro, and asparagus mixture. Pour over half of egg mixture. Repeat layering with remaining bread, another 1/2 cup of the cheese, and remaining chilies, cilantro and asparagus mixture. Pour remaining egg mixture over top.
Sprinkle strata with another 1/4 cup of the cheese and push to ensure bread is submerged in egg custard. Cover with plastic wrap, put a plate and a 1-pound weight on top (a large can of tomatoes or rice in a re-sealable plastic bag works well), place in refrigerator for 1 to 12 hours.
When ready to bake, heat oven to 325 degrees F and arrange rack in the middle. Let strata sit at room temperature while oven heats, at least 20 minutes.
Sprinkle strata with remaining 1/4 cup of the cheese and bake until puffed and edges pull away slightly, about 40 to 45 minutes. Cool for at least 5 minutes before serving. Serve with some cilantro, sour cream, and avocado, as desired.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.