Sticky Five-Spice Short Ribs
- 1 1/2 cups dry sherry or Shaoxing wine
- 1/2 cup oyster sauce
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 1/2 pounds short ribs, English cut
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons five-spice powder
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 6 medium garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 -inch piece ginger, sliced
- 1 small serrano or Thai bird chile, or jalapeno pepper, halved
Heat the oven to 350 degrees F and arrange a rack in the middle.
Place a 3-quart Dutch oven or other heavy-bottomed, shallow pot with a tight-fitting lid over medium heat and add oil. When oil starts to smoke, add ribs and sear until well browned, about 2 minutes per side.
Remove ribs to a plate and set aside. Discard all but 1 tablespoon drippings, return pan to stove, and add garlic, ginger, and chile and cook just until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in reserved sherry mixture and bring to a simmer.
Return ribs to pan and bring to a simmer. Cover and transfer to oven to cook, turning occasionally, until meat is knife tender, about 1 1/2 hours. Increase oven to 400 degrees F and cook, covered, until ribs are sticky, about 30 more minutes.