- 2 ancho or pasilla chiles
- Olive oil, for sauteing
- 3 pound piece lamb shoulder
- 1 cup onions, 1/4-inch dice
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 pound serrano ham, sliced
- 1 cup drained del pequillo chiles
- 10-ounce can whole tomatoes
- 1 cup fino (dry) or amontillado (semi-dry) sherry
- 1 cup ruby Port
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 fresh bay leaf
- 2 rosemary sprigs
Soak dried chiles in hot water for 5 minutes.
In a large saucepot heat oil and brown lamb on all sides. Remove from pan. Add onions and garlic and ham and saute until soft. Add rehydrated and del pequillo chiles and deglaze with all 3 wines. Bring to a boil, and then simmer until reduced by half. Add lamb back in with tomatoes, bay leaf and rosemary. Simmer for 3 hours.