- 1 pound dried black eyed peas, soaked overnight in the refrigerator
- 3/4 pound large dice pumpkin
- 3 quarts chicken stock
- 4 slices bacon, sliced
- 1 white onion, small dice
- 1 red pepper, small dice
- 1 carrot, coarsely grated
- 2 cups fresh corn kernels
- 10 basil leaves
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Paprika Oil, recipe follows
In a stockpot, combine the beans, pumpkin, and chicken stock. Bring to a boil. Cook until beans are tender, about 1 hour.
In a saute pan, render bacon. Add onions, peppers, and carrots. Cook until translucent. Add to the bean mixture. Cook for around 15 minutes.
In a blender, puree corn and basil. Add the mixture to the beans and cook for 15 minutes, stirring continuously. Season. Serve with paprika oil.
Heat up the oil and cook the garlic. Strain. Add paprika. Cool.