- 1 (4 to 6-pound) pork shoulder, de-boned
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 white onion, cut into large dice
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 1/2 cups white vinegar
- 1/2 bunch cilantro, leaves picked
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups lard
- 2 red onions, julienned
- 2 limes, juiced
- 4 (8-inch) pieces Cuban bread or French baguette
With a knife, make a couple incisions in the pork shoulder and stud with the garlic cloves.
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
Place the pork shoulder in a roasting pan. Heat the lard, and pour over the top. Cover and bake 3 hours. Let the meat rest for 15 minutes. Slice thinly.
Saute red onions and deglaze with lime juice.
Assemble the sandwich by placing 4 to 5 slices of pork and 2 to 3 tablespoons of the onion mixture on the bread. On a griddle, heat up the sandwich until the bread is crispy.