My Mother's Marinara Sauce
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 small yellow onions, peeled, halved and cut into thin slices
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into thin slices
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled, halved and cut into thin slices
- 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 (28-ounce) can whole tomatoes
- 1/2 cup basil leaves, washed
In a medium skillet, over medium heat, add the olive oil. Stir in the onions, carrots, garlic slices, and red pepper flakes. Season with salt, to taste, and cook for about 2 minutes. Add the sugar and the canned tomatoes, breaking them up with a spoon, and mix well. Cook for an additional 10 to 15 minutes over medium heat, stirring from time to time. Taste for seasoning, then stir in the basil leaves.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.