- 2 large zucchini, peeled and cut into small cubes (about 1/2-inch)
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- Kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 heaping tablespoons golden raisins
- 1 medium onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and grated
- 1 cup canned San Marzano whole plum tomatoes, drained of their liquid and broken into small pieces
- 3 medium-size stalks celery, cut into thin rounds
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained
- 12 green olives, preferably Cerignola, pitted and chopped
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
In a medium bowl, toss the squash with the sugar and half of the olive oil. Season with salt and stir in the oregano. Arrange the squash in a single layer on a baking sheet and place it in the center of the oven. Cook until the squash is tender but still holds its shape and is somewhat firm, 15 to 20 minutes.
In a small bowl, combine the red wine vinegar and the raisins. Set aside.
Heat a medium skillet and add a little of the remaining olive oil. When it begins to smoke lightly, add the onions and garlic. Season with salt and cook until they are translucent, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and stir in the tomatoes, celery, capers, and olives. Stir to blend. Refrigerate.