Alf's "Colorado Red"
- 4 pounds beef tri-tip roast, cubed
- 4 tablespoons onion powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder, plus 1/2 tablespoon and 1 1/4 teaspoons
- 1 tablespoon New Mexico chili powder, plus 4 more tablespoons
- 2 tablespoons California chili powder, plus 3 more tablespoons
- 1 tablespoon chili powder, plus 1 tablespoon (recommended: Gebhardt's)
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 2 1/2 cups (20 ounces) beef broth
- 2 1/2 cups (20 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon New Mexico hot chili powder
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin, plus 3 more tablespoons
- Dash seasoning salt
- Dash hot pepper sauce
In a large pot, brown meat in shortening. Drain or rinse meat and return meat to chili pot. Add onion powder, 1 tablespoon garlic powder, 1 tablespoon New Mexico chili powder, 2 tablespoons California chili powder, chili powder, tomato sauce, and beef and chicken broths. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer for approximately 1 1/2 hours.
Add New Mexico hot chili powder, 1 tablespoon California chili powder, 2 tablespoons New Mexico chili powder, 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder, 2 tablespoons cumin, and seasoning salt. Simmer for an additional 30 minutes. Add 2 more tablespoons California chili powder, 2 tablespoons New Mexico chili powder, 2 tablespoons cumin, and 1 teaspoon garlic powder. Add water to reach desired consistency and then simmer for 30 minutes. Add remaining 1 tablespoon chili powder, 1 tablespoon cumin, and 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder. Taste, and adjust seasoning with hot sauce and salt. Simmer for 15 more minutes and then serve.
Home Cook Recipe: A viewer or guest of the show, who may not be a professional cook, provided this recipe. The Food Network Kitchen have not tested this recipe and therefore cannot make representation as to the results.