- 2 cups self-rising cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Boiling water, to combine
- 1 egg
- 1 can smoked oysters, chopped
- 3 jalapenos, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 5 egg whites, beaten slightly
- Panko Japanese bread crumbs, for coating
- Vegetable oil, for frying
Mix all dry ingredients and add enough boiling water to make a thick dough. Add the egg, chopped oysters, peppers and onions and mix thoroughly. Form this mixture into small patties. Dip into egg whites, then roll in panko bread crumbs to coat.
Heat oil to 350 degrees F in deep fat fryer, or a large pot, and drop in hushpuppies. Fry until golden and remove with a slotted spoon. Drain on paper towels and serve immediately.
* Guest Recipe
A viewer or guest of the show, who may not be a professional cook, provided this recipe. The Food Network Kitchens have not tested this recipe and therefore cannot make representation as to the results.