Almost Tuna Loaf
- 1/2 cup almonds
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 carrot, peeled
- 2 celery stalks
- 1/8 cup chopped red onion
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley or 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley leaves
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kelp powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Celtic sea salt
- Leaf lettuce, for serving
- 1 scallion, chopped, optional
- 1/2 ripe avocado, sliced, optional
- 1/2 ripe tomato, sliced, optional
- 1/2 red bell pepper, sliced, optional
Soak almonds in water for at least 8 hours and sunflower seeds for 6 hours.
Drain almonds and sunflower seeds. Grate carrot and celery in a food processor. Add the onion, parsley, lemon juice, olive oil, and seasonings and process until desired consistency. Remove the mixture from the food processor bowl and form it into a loaf. Using a loaf pan makes this easier. Cover the loaf with plastic wrap and let rest for at least 1 hour so that the flavors to mingle.
Serve on a bed of leaf lettuce, sprinkled with scallions and accompanied by the vegetable slices, if using.
Professional Recipe: This recipe was provided by a chef, restaurant or culinary professional and makes a large quantity. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe in the proportions indicated and therefore cannot make any representation as to the results.
Recipe courtesy of Rhonda Price
Recipe courtesy of Bobby Flay
Recipe courtesy of Brad Sorenson