Almost Tuna Loaf
- 1/2 cup almonds
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 carrot, peeled
- 2 celery stalks
- 1/8 cup chopped red onion
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley or 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley leaves
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kelp powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Celtic sea salt
- Leaf lettuce, for serving
- 1 scallion, chopped, optional
- 1/2 ripe avocado, sliced, optional
- 1/2 ripe tomato, sliced, optional
- 1/2 red bell pepper, sliced, optional
Soak almonds in water for at least 8 hours and sunflower seeds for 6 hours.
Drain almonds and sunflower seeds. Grate carrot and celery in a food processor. Add the onion, parsley, lemon juice, olive oil, and seasonings and process until desired consistency. Remove the mixture from the food processor bowl and form it into a loaf. Using a loaf pan makes this easier. Cover the loaf with plastic wrap and let rest for at least 1 hour so that the flavors to mingle.
Serve on a bed of leaf lettuce, sprinkled with scallions and accompanied by the vegetable slices, if using.
Professional Recipe: This recipe was provided by a chef, restaurant or culinary professional and makes a large quantity. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe in the proportions indicated and therefore cannot make any representation as to the results.