- Nonstick spray
- 8 ounces all-purpose flour
- 4 ounces whole-wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh dill
- 4 1/2 ounces sharp Cheddar, grated
- 12 ounces cold beer, ale or stout
- 1 to 2 tablespoons sunflower seeds, optional
DirectionsWatch how to make this recipe
Heat the oven to 375 degrees F. Coat the inside of a 9 by 5-inch loaf pan with the nonstick spray and set aside.
Whisk together the all-purpose flour, wheat flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, and dill in a large mixing bowl. Add in the cheese and stir in the beer just to combine. Spread the batter evenly in the prepared pan. Sprinkle with the sunflower seeds, if using.
Bake on the middle rack of the oven until the bread reaches an internal temperature of 210 degrees F on an instant-read thermometer, about 45 to 55 minutes.
Remove from the oven and cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Transfer the loaf to a cooling rack for 10 to 15 minutes before slicing and serving.
Recipe courtesy of Alton Brown, 2009