- Butter, room temperature, for greasing the souffle
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan
- 1 1/2 ounces (3 tablespoons) butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/3 cups milk, hot
- 4 large egg yolks (2 1/2 ounces by weight)
- 6 ounces sharp Cheddar
- 5 egg whites plus 1 tablespoon water (5 1/2 ounces by weight plus 1/2 ounce water)
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
DirectionsWatch how to make this recipe.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
In a small saucepan, heat the butter. Allow all of the water to cook out.
In a separate bowl combine the flour, dry mustard, garlic powder, and kosher salt. Whisk this mixture into the melted butter. Cook for 2 minutes.
Whisk in the hot milk and turn the heat to high. Once the mixture reaches a boil, remove from the heat.
Pour the mixture into the souffle. Fill the souffle to 1/2-inch from the top. Place on an aluminum pie pan. Bake in the oven for 35 minutes.
Recipe courtesy of Alton Brown