- 2 ounces Clarified Butter, recipe follows
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh sage
- 1 ounce all-purpose flour
- 1 ounce potato starch
- 1 quart low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar or Vincotto
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- Clarified Butter:
- 1 pound unsalted butter
Melt the Clarified Butter in large saute pan over medium-high heat. Fry the thyme and sage in the butter until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the flour and cook for 1 minute or until the mixture smells nutty. Add the potato starch and stir to combine.
Add the chicken broth and soy sauce to the pan. Whisk to combine and eliminate any lumps. Bring the mixture to a simmer and cook until thickened slightly, approximately 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and add the vinegar and nutmeg. Pour into a thermos to keep warm for serving.Clarified Butter:
Melt the butter in a heavy saucepan over low heat and slowly cook until the bubbling ceases and the liquid turns clear, 30 to 40 minutes. Strain and cool, being sure to leave any solids in the bottom of the pan. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a month.
Yield: approximately 15 ounces
Recipe courtesy of Alton Brown, 2013