Hummus For Real
- 1 pound Slow Cooker Chickpeas, cooled, recipe follows
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 5 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup tahini, stirred well
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for serving
- Powdered sumac, optional
- Slow Cooker Chickpeas:
- 7 cups water
- 1 pound dry chickpeas, sorted and rinsed
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- Special equipment: a 2 1/2-quart slow cooker
Place the chickpeas, garlic, and kosher salt in the bowl of a food processor. Process for 15 to 20 seconds. Stop, scrape down the sides of the bowl, and process for another 15 to 20 seconds. Add the lemon juice and water. Process for 20 seconds. Add the tahini. Process for 20 seconds, then scrape down the sides of the bowl. With the processor running, drizzle in the olive oil.
To serve, transfer the hummus to a bowl and drizzle with additional olive oil and sprinkle with sumac, to taste, if desired.Slow Cooker Chickpeas:
Place the water, chickpeas, and baking soda in a 2 1/2-quart slow cooker. Cover and cook on high heat for 4 hours, or on low heat for 8 to 9 hours, or until tender. Drain and serve immediately, or use in desired dish.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.