Mushroom Stroganoff with Goat Cheese
- 12 ounces extra-wide egg noodles
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 5 portabella mushrooms, stems removed and sliced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 bunch green onions, sliced and white bottoms and green tops separated
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 14 ounces beef broth
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 4 ounces fresh goat cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground, plus more for garnish
Add the noodles to 4 quarts of cold water in a 6-quart pot, cover and place over high heat. Cook to al dente, 18 to 22 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Melt the butter in a 12-inch straight-sided saute pan set over medium-high heat. Increase the heat to high, add the mushrooms and sprinkle with salt. Saute until they darken in color, soften and give off their liquid, 5 to 6 minutes. Add the white bottoms of the green onions and saute 2 to 3 minutes.
Sprinkle in the flour and stir to combine. Cook until the flour disappears and the fond on the bottom of the pan turns dark brown, about 1 minute. Deglaze with the beef broth. Bring to a simmer and decrease the heat to medium-low. Cook for 10 to 12 minutes, and then add the sour cream, goat cheese and black pepper. Stir to combine, and then partially cover and bring to a simmer to warm through, 2 to 4 minutes.
Drain the noodles, add to the pan and stir to combine. Garnish with the green onion tops and additional black pepper. Serve immediately.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.