- 7 ounces sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons finely grated orange zest
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups freshly squeezed orange juice, approximately 2 to 3 pounds oranges
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups very cold whole milk
DirectionsWatch how to make this recipe
In the bowl of a food processor combine all of the ingredients except the milk and process until the sugar is dissolved, approximately 1 minute. Transfer the mixture to a mixing bowl and whisk in the milk. Cover the bowl and place in the refrigerator until the mixture reaches 40 degrees F or below, approximately 1 hour.
Pour the mixture into an ice cream maker and process until it is the consistency of soft serve ice cream. You may serve now or transfer to a lidded container and place in freezer until firm, approximately 3 hours.
Recipe courtesy of Alton Brown, 2009