Pancake Cake with Avocado Frosting
- Cake version Instant Pancake Mix:
- 1 pound 5 ounces all-purpose flour
- 8 1/2 ounces cake flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- Instant Pancakes:
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 2 whole eggs, room temperature
- 2 cups buttermilk, room temperature
- 2 cups Instant pancake mix from above
- For the Frosting:
- 8 ounces ripe avocado meat, approximately 2 small to medium avocadoes
- 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 pound powdered sugar, sifted
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
DirectionsCake version Instant Pancake Mix:
Place all of the ingredients in a mixing bowl and whisk well to combine.
Store in an airtight container for up to 3 months.Instant Pancakes:
Heat an electric griddle or frying pan to 350 degrees.
Place the butter, eggs and buttermilk in a mixing bowl and whisk to combine. Pour this over the 2 cups of pancake mix that is in a separate bowl and whisk just to combine. Do not try to remove all of the lumps.
Once your griddle or pan is hot, use a large ice cream disher to scoop the batter onto the griddle. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown, flip and cook for another 2-3 minutes. Transfer to a cooling rack to hold. Repeat until all of the batter has been used. You will have 10-12 pancakes.For the Frosting:
Peel and pit the avocado. Place the avocado and the lemon juice into the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment and beat until lightened in color, approximately 2-3 minutes. Add the powdered sugar a little at a time and beat until smooth. Add the lemon extract and whisk to combine.
Place a small dab of frosting on a plate and set one of the pancakes on top of it. This serves as an anchor to hold the cake in place. Spread about 1/4 cup of frosting on top of the pancake. Top with another pancake and repeat until you have 6 layers. Frost the top and sides with the frosting if desired.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.