- Macerated Strawberries, recipe follows
- 16 slices stale potato bread
- 1 tablespoon butter, room temperature
- Macerated Strawberries:
- 1 pint medium size strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 1/2 (325 milliliters) bottle red wine
- 1/8 cup orange blossom honey
- 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup sugar
Remove both ends from 4 (15-ounce) soup cans. Save 4 of the ends. Using one of the soup cans with the ends removed, cut the potato bread into 16 rounds. To avoid torn bread press straight down, do not twist. Let bread sit for 2 hours to dry out.
Butter 1 side of 4 of the bread rounds.
Place the soup cans on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Place the buttered bread round, buttered-side up, in each can. Spoon 2 tablespoons of strawberries with liquid to cover over each round. Dredge 1 side of 4 bread rounds in the strawberry liquid and place over the strawberries. Repeat layering strawberries and dredged bread rounds until you have 3 layers of strawberries and 4 layers of bread.
Place reserved ends of soup cans on top of final round and weight with cans of soda. Refrigerate for 8 hours. Remove cans and serve with whipped cream.Macerated Strawberries:
In a bowl combine all ingredients. Let stand in refrigerator for 2 hours.
Yield: 4 servings Preparation: 15 minutes Marinating time: 2 hours Ease of preparation: easy