- 2 zucchini, washed, sliced lengthwise (about 6 slices from each)
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 1 cup cubed day-old bread
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1/2 bunch fresh oregano, chopped
- 1/2 bunch fresh mint, chopped
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, thinly sliced
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, washed, sliced in half
- 8 fresh basil leaves, chiffonade, plus more for garnish
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Divide the zucchini slices evenly among 4 flat plates, overlapping each slice just slightly, like shingles. Brush with the lemon juice and season with salt. Let sit for 5 minutes to marinate and wilt.
Meanwhile, toss the bread cubes with 1 tablespoon of the oil, the oregano, mint and some salt. Toast on a baking sheet in the oven until slightly golden, 10 to 12 minutes.
For the vinaigrette, simply combine the red wine vinegar with the remaining oil and the garlic and season with salt and pepper.
Toss the cherry tomatoes with the bread and about 1/4 cup of the vinaigrette. Let sit until the croutons start to soften, 5 minutes, then toss in the basil. Divide the tomato panzanella salad on top of the zucchini and garnish with a drizzle of olive oil and more basil. Serve with the remaining vinaigrette on the side.