American-Style Potato Salad
- 1/2 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 10 to 12 small waxy-style potatoes (about 2 pounds), peeled and quartered
- 2 tablespoons, plus 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 stalks celery (with leaves), chopped
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons pickle relish
- 1 tablespoon French's mustard
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- Freshly ground black pepper
In a small bowl soak the onions in cold water for 15 minutes. Drain.
In a medium saucepan cover the potatoes and 2 tablespoons salt with cold water by about 2 inches. Bring to a boil, lower the heat, and simmer until fork tender, about 6 to 8 minutes. Drain, transfer potatoes to a large bowl, and mix with the onions and celery. Set aside to cool.
In a small bowl, whisk together the remaining 1 teaspoon salt, mayonnaise, parsley, relish, mustard, and lemon juice.
When the potatoes have cooled, carefully fold them with the mayonnaise mixture. Season with pepper, to taste. Transfer to a serving bowl and serve.
Copyright (c) 2004 Television Food Network, G.P., All Rights Reserved.