Andouille and White Cheddar Cheese Grits
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 8 ounces andouille sausage, removed from casings and diced
- 6 cups water
- 4 cups heavy whipping cream
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 2/3 cups stone-ground white grits
- 1/4 cup finely chopped chives
- 1 cup shredded white Cheddar
Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and sausage and cook for 5 minutes. Add the water, cream, salt, and pepper and bring to a boil. Gradually stir in the grits. Reduce the heat to low and continue to cook, stirring constantly, until the grits are tender, smooth, and creamy, about 20 to 25 minutes. Stir in the chives and cheese and serve immediately.
Professional Recipe: This recipe was provided by a chef, restaurant or culinary professional and makes a large quantity. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe in the proportions indicated and therefore cannot make any representation as to the results.
Recipe courtesy of Back Inn Cafe
Recipe courtesy of Robert Irvine