- 5 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon Creole seasoning (recommended: Tony Chachere's)
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 tablespoon black pepper
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 1 cup diced jalapenos
- 10 dashes hot pepper sauce (recommended: Tabasco)
Put all the ingredients into a large bowl and stir well to combine. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. When ready to cook, heat a deep-fat-fryer to 350 degrees F. Drop rounded teaspoons of the batter into the hot oil and fry until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Fry in batches until all the batter is used.
Professional Recipe: This recipe was provided by a chef, restaurant or culinary professional and makes a large quantity. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe in the proportions indicated and therefore cannot make any representation as to the results.
Recipe courtesy of BB's Jazz, Blues and Soups