Annatto Marinade for Fish
- 6 tablespoons annato seeds, soaked in water overnight
- 1 tablespoon whole black peppercorns
- 6 whole allspice berries
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds, toasted
- 10 garlic cloves, peeled, minced
- 1 tablespoon Mexican oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 6 whole red snapper or grouper, cleaned, scaled, split lengthwise
- Thinly sliced lime (garnish)
- Thinly sliced red onion (garnish)
Grind annatto seeds, peppercorns, allspice berries and cumin with mortar and pestle. Transfer to large bowl. Mix in oregano, cinnamon, cloves and bay leaves. Add orange juice, vinegar and vegetable oil and whisk until well blended. Open fish (as for book) and arrange in large glass baking dish. Pour marinade over. Cover and refrigerate 2 to 4 hours.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Remove fish from marinade; reserve marinade. Season fish with salt and pepper. Bake fish until cooked through, basting occasionally with marinade, about 45 minutes. Transfer fish to plates. Garnish with lime and red onion.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.