Big Fat Burger with Gruyere, Ham, Pickled Onions, Arugula, and Garlic Mayo
- Pickled Onions:
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 shakes hot sauce (recommended: Tabasco)
- 1/2 small red onion, sliced thin (preferably on mandolin)
- Burger Mix:
- 12 ounces ground beef
- 1/4 cup ham, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1/4 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1/4 cup Gruyere, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 large clove garlic, smashed and finely chopped
- Kosher salt
- 2 slices Gruyere
- 2 sesame seed buns
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise mixed with 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 slices beefsteak tomato
- 1 cup baby arugula, washed
For the pickled onions: Combine the salt, sugar, vinegar, water, and hot sauce in a container with a lid. Shake to incorporate everything really well. Add the onions and let sit for at least 30 minutes.
For the burger: Preheat the grill. Combine all the burger ingredients and season well with salt. Form into 2 equal patties. Grill each burger for about 4 minutes on each side. During the last 2 minutes of grill time, top each burger with a slice of cheese.
Open the buns and place the inside on the grill, and grill until the bun is lightly toasted, about 1 minute.
To assemble: Schmear the inside of each toasted bun with the garlic mayo. Place the burger patty on the bottom bun. Top each burger with a few pickled onions, a tomato slice, and some arugula. Top with the top half of the bun.
Recipe courtesy Anne Burrell