Clams Steamed in Beer with Chile and Cilantro
- Neutrally flavored oil such as peanut or canola
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed and finely chopped
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 (1-inch) piece ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 bird's eye chiles, coarsely chopped
- 2 dozen littleneck clams, scrubbed
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 bottle Asian beer
- 2 kaffir lime leaves
- 1/2 bunch cilantro, leaves coarsely chopped
Coat a large pot with oil and bring it to a high heat. When the oil is hot add the garlic, scallions, ginger and chiles. Saute for 1 to 2 minutes or until everything is very aromatic.
Add the clams and stir to coat with the oil and other ingredients. Add the vinegar, beer, and kaffir lime leaves. Cover and steam the clams until they open, about 5 to 7 minutes. Discard any clams that have not opened.
Divide the clams into serving bowls with the broth and sprinkle with the chopped cilantro.
Recipe courtesy Anne Burrell