Cod Goujonettes with Salt and Malt Vinegar Aioli
- Peanut or canola oil, for frying
- 4 pounds skinless cod fillets
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons seafood seasoning, such as Old Bay
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Kosher salt
- 1 bottle lager, cold, such as Harp
- Salt and Malt Vinegar Aioli, for serving, recipe follows
- Salt and Malt Vinegar Aioli:
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup malt vinegar
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
Fill the fryer with oil and heat to 375 degrees F. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees F.
Cut the cod into 1-by-3-inch strips, using a sharp knife.
Combine the flour, seafood seasoning, baking soda and a pinch salt in a medium bowl. Make a well in the center and gently pour in the beer. Mix until just combined. Working in batches, coat the fish generously in the batter.
Fry the fish in batches until golden brown and crispy, turning the fish over to make sure they fry evenly, about 5 minutes. Transfer immediately to paper towels to blot the excess oil. Season with salt while the fish are still very hot.
Serve with a small dollop of the Salt and Malt Vinegar Aioli on top of the fried cod.Salt and Malt Vinegar Aioli: