Red Cabbage Slaw
- 1 head purple cabbage, tough bottom ribs discarded, leaves shredded
- 3 carrots, peeled and grated
- 1 red onion, peeled and very thinly sliced
- 1 cup malt vinegar
- Kosher salt
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
DirectionsWatch how to make this recipe
Combine the cabbage, carrots and onions in a large serving bowl. Douse the vegetables with the malt vinegar, season with salt and let sit for at least 1 hour. This will soften the cabbage and make it seem almost cooked but still with a great texture.
Stir in the mayonnaise and the mustard. Taste for seasoning. The final outcome should be a creamy and tart slaw. Serve cold or at room temperature. Refrigerate leftovers.
Recipe courtesy of Anne Burrell