- 1 small head red cabbage, tough bottom ribs removed, shredded (about 6 cups)
- 2 bulbs fennel, cored and julienned
- 3 carrots, grated
- 2 Granny Smith apples, julienned
- 1 red onion, very thinly sliced
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- Kosher salt
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups mayonnaise
- 2 to 3 tablespoons horseradish
Combine the cabbage, fennel, carrots, apples and onion in a large bowl. Douse with the vinegar, season with salt and let sit at least 1 hour. This will soften the cabbage and make it seem almost cooked, but it will still have a great texture.
Drain the cabbage of excess liquid but still keep it fairly juicy. Stir in the mayonnaise and horseradish. Taste for seasoning and add salt. The result should be a creamy and tart slaw.