Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp
- 1 quart strawberries, stemmed and quartered
- 4 stalks rhubarb, cut into 1/2-inch lengths
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 orange, zested and juiced
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/4 cups whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/4 sticks butter, cut into pea-sized pieces
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
- 1 to 2 tablespoons water
Whipped cream or ice cream, for serving
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Combine all of the ingredients in a large bowl and stir to be sure everything is well combined. Spoon the filling into 8 individual ramekins or 1 wide shallow baking dish.
In a food processor combine the flour, oats and brown sugar and pulse to combine. Add the butter, vanilla and salt and pulse pulse pulse until the mixture looks dry and crumbly. Add 1 tablespoon of water and pulse until the mixture starts to come together and look crumbly. If the mixture still seems dry add 1 more tablespoon of water and pulse to combine.
Crumble the topping over the filling. Bake in the preheated oven until the filling is hot and bubbly all the way through and the topping looks crispy and light brown, about 25 to 30 minutes. Serve warm with whipped cream or ice cream.
It's berry delicious!