- 1 large celery root, peeled and julienned
- 2 Granny Smith apples, julienned
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar, divided
- 4 trumpet royale mushrooms, or some other large mushroom
- Kosher salt
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup creme fraiche
- 2 tablespoons to 1/4 cup prepared horseradish
- 1 1/2 cups mache lettuce
- 1/2 red onion, sliced thinly in rings
Preheat a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Cut the mushrooms in half lengthwise and season with salt. When the pan is hot, coat with oil and arrange the mushrooms, cut side down, in the pan. Saute until the mushrooms are soft and golden brown. Flip the mushrooms over and repeat this process on the other side.
While the mushrooms are cooking, drain the excess liquid from the celery root and apple mixture, if there is any. Return the celery root and apples to the bowl, add the creme fraiche and horseradish and about 1/2 of the remaining vinegar and season with salt, to taste. Stir to combine. Taste and add the remaining vinegar if you like things very acidic; adjust the salt, if needed.