Warm Savoy Cabbage Slaw
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 slices thick cut bacon, cut into lardons
- 2 red onions, julienned
- 3 carrots, peeled and grated
- 1 medium head savoy cabbage, thick ribs removed and shredded
- 1 1/2 cups apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons, mustard seeds
- 1 thyme bundle, tied with string
- 4 bay leaves
- 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup apple cider
- 1 small bunch chives, cut into 2-inch pieces
Coat a large wide pot with olive oil and add the bacon. Render the bacon over medium heat. Add the red onions, season with salt, and sweat for 4 to 5 minutes. Add the carrots and stir to combine. Add the cabbage, cider vinegar, mustard seeds, thyme and bay leaves. Season with salt and taste. This will taste very vinegary but the salt will help offset the sharpness of the vinegar.
Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 15 to 20 minutes or until the cabbage is very soft. Remove the lid, add the apple cider and simmer for an additional 10 minutes or until most of the vinegar has absorbed but the cabbage is still moist but not soupy. Serve right away or let it hang out in the refrigerator. It will probably be better in a couple of days. Garnish with chives.