Yellow and Red Pepper Piperade with Marcona Almonds
- Olive oil, for sauteing and drizzling
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed and chopped
- 1 Spanish onion, diced
- 2 plum tomatoes, finely diced
- 1 red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, finely diced
- Kosher salt
- 1/2 cup crushed tomatoes, preferably San Marzano
- 1 teaspoon red chile flakes
- 1 teaspoon pimenton (smoked paprika)
- 1 to 2 teaspoons sherry vinegar
- 1/3 cup Marcona almonds, toasted and finely chopped
- Chopped chives, for serving
In a large saute pan, add enough olive oil to coat the bottom and place over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and cook until aromatic. Add the onions and continue to saute until slightly caramelized, 6 to 7 minutes. Add the plum tomatoes and diced peppers, season with salt and cook until slightly softened, about 2 minutes. Add the crushed tomatoes, chile flakes and pimenton and cook until the sauce thickens, about 5 minutes. Add the sherry vinegar and cook for an additional minute. Taste and season.
Remove from the heat and stir in the chopped almonds and chives. Finish with a drizzle of olive oil.