Couture Caramel Apples
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, softened
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 wooden sticks
- 6 Granny Smith apples
- German Chocolate Apples: chopped salted pecans, toasted coconut, miniature chocolate morsels
- Peanut butter chocolates (recommended: Reese's Pieces - Halloween colors)
- Ginger snap crumbs and candied ginger
- Caramel popcorn apple: salted buttered popcorn
- Halloween sprinkles
Mix the white sugar, corn syrup, and salt in a large heavy-bottomed saucepan. Cover and cook over low heat until the sugar dissolves. Increase the heat and boil uncovered until the sugar turns a medium brown, about 7 minutes, but do not stir or swirl around to mix. Watch it carefully at the end, as it will go from caramel to burnt in no time. Put an oven mitt on the hand you will be using to stir in the butter, and heavy cream, and stand back to avoid splattering. Slowly and carefully, stir in the butter and the heavy cream. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the vanilla. Cool slightly.
Put the apples on a cookie sheet lined with lightly greased aluminum foil. Insert wooden sticks 3/4 of the way into the stem end of each apple. Dip each apple into the caramel and scrape the excess caramel from the bottoms using the side of the saucepan. Roll the apples in the desired toppings and arrange them on the aluminum foil. Serve.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.