- 1/3 cup raisins
- 4 1/2 cups apple cider
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 celery stalks, split lengthwise and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts
- 8 ounces mortadella, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 cup pitted and coarsely chopped green olives
- 2 apples, peeled, cored, and diced
- 6 fresh sage leaves, chopped
- 6 cups day-old sourdough bread (crusts removed), cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Add the mortadella, olives, apples, and sage and cook 5 more minutes.
Strain the raisins, reserving the cider, and add the raisins to the saucepan. Stir in the bread cubes, season with the salt and pepper, and add the reserved cider. Bring to a boil, lower the heat, and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes. Stir thoroughly, cover, and continue cooking for an additional 15 minutes. The stuffing will be very moist. Serve hot. The stuffing can be kept hot and held for up to 1 hour in a bain-marie.