- 10 to 12 bushels apples (for standard 40 gallon kettle), peeled and quartered
- Apple cider, to cover the apples in the kettle
- 3 pounds sugar, or to taste
- Cinnamon, either powdered or oil, several small bottles, to taste
- Clove, either powdered or oil, several small bottles, to taste
Cook the apples in the cider, stirring continuously for nearly 8 hours. In the last hour or so, add the sugar. Stir in the flavoring. Once butter is thick enough to stick to an upside down saucer, the butter is done and ready to be canned.
A viewer, who may not be a professional cook, provided this recipe. The FN chefs have not tested this recipe and therefore, we cannot guarantee the results.
Recipe courtesy of Jean Mosier and the Apple Butter Festival