Apple Pie Cones
- 8 large baking apples (recommended: Granny Smith, Golden Delicious, or Northern Spy)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup apple juice concentrate, thawed
- 1/4 cup lightly packed dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup dark or golden raisins
- 8 ice cream "sugar" cones
- Whipped cream, for garnish
DirectionsWatch how to make this recipe.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
Peel, core, and cut the apples into 3/4-inch chunks. In a medium bowl, whisk the cornstarch, vanilla extract, apple juice concentrate and brown sugar together. Add the apples and raisins and toss. Transfer to a 2-quart baking dish. Cover the dish with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake for 20 minutes more, stirring occasionally for even cooking. The mixture is done when the apples are just tender and the filling is clear and thickened. Set aside to cool a bit. Scoop warm filling into the ice cream cones and serve, topped with whipped cream.
Courtesy Wayne Harley Brachman, Retro Desserts, Harper Collins Publishers, 2000