- 1/2 pound Italian Roma tomatoes
- 3/4 pound tomatillos, husked and washed
- 1/3 cup (12 to 15) arbol chiles
- 1/2 bunch cilantro, leaves only, chopped
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 avocado (just slightly under-ripe), peeled, seeded, an finely diced
Preheat the broiler. Place the tomatoes and tomatillos on a baking sheet. Broil, turning occasionally, until charred all over, 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer to a sauce pan along with the remaining ingredients. Bring the mixture to boil and cook until the onions are soft, 12 to 15 minutes. Transfer to a food processor or blender. Puree and then strain. Serve at room temperature or slightly chilled. Arbol salsa can be stored in the refrigerator 3 to 5 days or frozen for weeks. Just before serving, stir in the avocado.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.